This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure policy
I can’t believe I have had the Instant Pot for a full year and my oh my has it changed my outlook of the kitchen!! Pre-marriage and pre-instant pot I was lucky to step foot in the kitchen to warm something up in the microwave. Takeout and restaurants were my friend but as many of you mamas know you just can’t sustain a budget with a small family on takeout or eating out all the time.
I slowly improved my skills and asked for an Instant Pot the latest, hot gadget for Christmas last year. I was pregnant with my second and needed something to make life in the kitchen easier. My fabulous MIL bought me the amazing gadget (the no frills easy to use Lux Model (Amazon.com: Instant Pot LUX60V3 V3 6 Qt 6-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer: Home & Kitchen) and soon after the new year I started looking up recipes and cooking.
I think the first thing I made in the Instant Pot is rice because this incredible thing is a rice cooker and crockpot too!! Did I mention in February I gave away pretty much all my other kitchen gadgets?! I have never looked back!
Needless to say this gadget has changed my life and my families life. Just about every night we have a nice wholesome meal that I know all the ingredients for and doesn’t just come from a box (blue box if it were up to my two year old). I for the first time in our almost 5 years of marriage contributed to both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I was someone who was super nervous in the kitchen and have moved to somebody willing to take a chance and even experiment a little. I can’t wait to see what the next year brings!!
To help with the experimentation and every day wonders of the Instant Pot there are some fabulous accessories. Yes the Instant Pot comes itself with just about everything needed including a steaming rack and spoons for rice and such but various accessories just extend the Instant Pot even further for all sort of creations.
Instant Pot Variations
There are four basic varieties of Instant Pots currently and they vary based on the number of functions that they can do and preset buttons they have. Each Instant Pot then comes in the 3 qt, 6 qt and 8 qt size.
- Instant Pot LUX Mini 3 Qt 6-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer – This is the basic no frills, really easy to get started model. It is awesome for starting out and a great cooker. If you want to make yogurt, this model will not help. There is a hack way to do it but it is a lot easier with one of the other models. Otherwise it is a great model to get started with and just about all the recipes out there you can do with this model.
- Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer – This is a step up from the LUX. It can do the Yogurt function in addition to all the basic functionality.
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 3 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer – The Duo Plus steps up the game to 9 functions and presets. Including a sterilizer preset and egg cooker.
- Instant Pot Ultra 3 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer– The Ultra is their most popular top of the line. It comes with a cake maker preset although I believe when I have made cakes it has been on manual pressure setting so I have not used the presets as much.
I quickly learned that if you are not a fan of washing the pot every night have a few more extra pots handy is a great idea. I currently have 3 pots and there are times where I have used them all in one night (dinner, apple sauce and then yogurt). Having extra sealing rings is also an almost must have if you start to cook both sweet and savory meals in the Instant Pot since the rings keep some of the smells and tastes. Lastly, lids (silicone and glass) are nice to have basics for storing or cooking for example yogurt that doesn’t require the pressure at the beginning.
- The non-stick one is especially great for pastas and rice! Amazon.com: Genuine Instant Pot Ceramic Non-Stick Interior Coated Inner Cooking Pot – 6 Quart: Home & Kitchen
- These come in different colors so you can mark them as sweet and savory. Amazon.com: Genuine Instant Pot Sealing Ring 2-Pack – 6 Quart Red/Blue: Home & Kitchen
- Clear lid comes in handy for storing leftovers or cookingAmazon.com: Genuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, 9 in. (23 cm), 6 Quart, Clear: Cookware Lids: Home & Kitchen
- Silicone lid is super convenient for storing leftovers in the fridge without transfer to another dish.
- Silicone steamer rack comes in handy for many things Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Silicone Steamer, Green: Vegetable Steamer: Kitchen & Dining
Multi Accessory Sets
These are some great sets that include multiple accessories. Many include a steamer rack, egg bite molds and some include bundt pans or silicone gloves.
- Pressure Cooker Accessories Set 6 Pieces Value Pack Fits 5, 6, 8 QT. Steamer Basket, Springform Pan, Egg Steamer Rack, Steaming Stand, Kitchen Tongs and 1 Pair Silicone Cooking Pot
- Instant Pot Silicone Accessories Kit: Egg Bites Mold, Vegetable Steamer Basket Rack, Pot Holder Oven Mitts, Pressure Cooker Heat Resistant Dishwasher Safe, Starter Cooking Set, Fits 5,6,8 qt
- Mery Instant Pot Accessories Set-Fits 5,6,8Qt Instapot Pressure Cooker, 5Pcs Basket Steamer Rack Egg Bites Molds Non-Stick Springform Pan DishClip White
Bakeware and Specialty
Baking has been the most recent adventure I have embarked on with the Instant Pot. It is fun and with Texas weather doesn’t heat up the house quite as much. I have made a cheesecake, bundt cake and monkey bread oh so yummy!! These accessories definitely helped get me started with the baking. I love especially OXO and Fat Daddio accessories.
- Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Silicone Pressure Cooker Rack: Kitchen & Dining
- OXO Good Grips Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling
- Amazon.com: Aozita Silicone Egg Bites Molds for Instant Pot Accessories – Fits Instant Pot 5, 6, 8 qt Pressure Cooker, Reusable Storage Container and Freezer Tray with Lid, Sous Vide Egg Poacher: Kitchen & Dining
- Nordic Ware 51322RD 6-Cup Bundt Pan, Multicolor
- Fat Daddio’s Anodized Aluminum Round Cheesecake Pan with Removable Bottom, 7 Inch x 3 Inch
- Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Silicone Pressure Cooker Egg Rack: Kitchen & Dining
What are your favorite accessories for the Instant Pot? What adventures will you embark on?! As a quick side note I now have the Instant Pot Ultra which also makes Yogurt!! Amazon.com: Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer: Home & Kitchen